Location: Edinburgh, Scotland & other locations available around the UK
Contract: Summer Placement
Closing Date: 22/12/2023
Employer: In2science UK
What does the In2STEM programme include?
By taking part in the programme, you will gain hands-on STEM experience and expand your personal and professional skills working with leading scientists, researchers and professionals. The programme will help you expand and develop your personal and professional skills. It includes:
- A one or two week in-person work experience placement hosted by a STEM professional
- Live online skills, careers and employability workshops
- Public engagement competitions
- Student induction and celebration events
- Access to our Alumni Community and interactive In2careers platform
For more information, head to our Get Started Page.
When are the placements and other activities taking place?
All of our programme placements and activities will take place between Monday 22 July and Friday 23 August 2024. The in-person placements, live online workshops, and competitions will be scheduled at specific times throughout this five-week period. If you are participating in In2STEM Online, activities will also take place between Monday 22 July and Friday 23 August 2024.
You will also be invited to a Student Induction event, between the end of June and early July and a Celebration Event in September or October.
Who is eligible to apply?
Our core eligibility criteria require that you must:
- Be currently attending a non-fee paying and non-selective state-maintained school
- Be 16 years old or over and a current Year 12 (S5/S6/college in Scotland) student or equivalent
- Be studying at least one STEM related A-Level (or Scottish Higher/Advanced Higher), BTEC or equivalent
- Be available to take part in the majority of the programme during the summer (Monday 22 July – Friday 23 August 2024).
You must also meet our location and additional criteria. To read the full eligibility criteria, head to our Eligibility page.
How do I apply?
Step 1: Complete the application form. Complete the online application form found on our Apply webpage, letting us know why you want to take part in the programme, your 2024 summer availability and your STEM subjects of interest. The deadline for all applications is 22 December 2023 and we encourage students to apply as early as possible.
Step 2: Provide a reference. You will be asked to provide a teacher reference as part of your application. Once your application is submitted, we will email your teacher to ask them to complete the reference. Please provide a correct email address for your teacher and let them know to expect an email from us.
Step 3: If you have been successful – congratulations! We aim to send out all placement matches via email by the end of May 2024. You should then follow the instructions in the email to confirm your place on the programme.
Once you have confirmed your place, you will be invited to a student induction event between the end of June and early July. More information about specific times and locations will be sent out as closer to the time.