Location: St Andrews
Closing Date: 30/11/2022
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club was founded in 1754 and comprises a Clubhouse, a restaurant and bar within its adjacent property, Forgan House, and a guest house called Waldon House.
The Club has approximately 2,500 Members nationally and internationally, who may introduce guests. There are around 50 full-time staff with additional seasonal staff.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club aspires to world class standards.
Values and Behaviour
Employees are expected to act professionally at all times, and in accordance with the standards of behaviour and code of conduct outlined in the staff handbook and below.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club departmental teams are committed to working together to achieve the Club’s Objects as defined in its Rule Book. It is an organisation that aspires to excellence through working and communicating efficiently and effectively as a team.
A core value is integrity and team members treat each other considerately according to documented values, which include environmental and social responsibility.
What will I learn?
The primary objective of the Apprentice Chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen on rotation.
• Operate the pot wash and maintain the area to be clean and hygienic
at all times.
• Empty waste bins regularly.
• Receiving food deliveries and checking delivery notes to ensure they
conform to the orders placed.
• Unpacking deliveries and storing the contents in the correct storage
• How to prepare a wide range of ingredients, using fresh, local and
• To undertake food safety and hygiene training.
• How to safely handle and maintain knives
• How to work effectively as part of a team
• To participate in the Club’s Learning & Development programme,
including Scottish Vocational Awards’
• Learn how to cook, chill and freeze a variety of recipes.
A day in the life of…
Apprentice Chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and in principal the most junior culinary role. The primary objective of the Apprentice Chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen on rotation. As Apprentice Chef you will work towards a Commis Chef Apprenticeship. You will be working with our established kitchen team to ensure the best service possible is delivered to our Members daily. Our Kitchen Team is the magic behind each delicious dish we serve our Members. They are passionate about all things food and take great pride in each dish they prepare.
Based in the Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St Andrews you will be part of a family of passionate people.
What do we need from you? To be successful in this role, you will be passionate about providing an exceptional Member experience.
The Club will recruit for attitude and commitment to hospitality and train for skills.
An Apprentice Chef will be supervised by a senior Chef de Partie.
• The Hospitality Department
• The Golf Services Department
• The Membership Department
• The Waldon House Manager
What qualification or qualities are required?
Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience Desirable:
• Reliable and punctual
• Enthusiastic with a can-do attitude
• Take pride in your work
• Passionate about delivering high standards
• A good team worker
• Willing to learn
• Good communication skills
• Good level of numeracy and literature